Friday, July 04, 2008

And the winner is...

Ok, so it's not Saturday morning yet. But the more I think about the two adventure ideas, the more I realise that one has more advantages over the other. So while I really love the Ostium setting, I'm going with the adventure idea for The Forgotten.

Why didn't I pick the Ostium one? In many ways it made more sense, since I'm running a campaign which uses the setting. The problem is that to create an adventure usable to others, I would really need to include the setting book with the adventure :-) In particular, no matter what system I published the setting for (I'm currently running it with EABA, although I'm starting to think Savage Worlds would be a better fit) I'd also have to publish all the "changes" to the system to make it work for a computer world setting.

While The Forgotten would need to include some setting details, they could be easily summed up in half a page. And the system would be basically unchanged.

Speaking of system, I'll be using EABA for the adventure (since it's the system I'm most used to at the moment). And there's a free "Lite" version of EABA available (written by yours truely) so even if people don't know the system they can still use the adventure if they want to run it as-is.

Now I've just got to plan out the adventure :-) I've got a few ideas, but we'll see how they gel over the next few days. My problem is I don't normally plan out the adventures I run - I write down a few notes before the session, then wing it all from there. Forcing myself to plan it all out ahead of time will be... interesting.

(But probably a good learning experience).

No comments: