Monday, July 21, 2008

WoAdWriMo Progress Report - day 21 (eek!)

Time is ticking down on WoAdWriMo. I have to say I'm feeling a little nervous about the deadline, but I'm still aiming to complete in time.

My regular group got together on Friday to playtest the adventure. Unfortunately we only got half way through the material in the time we had, but what we did get done seemed to work ok.

I've already made a few changes to the adventure based on how it played out and some feedback afterward. Some of the feedback was interesting - the start wasn't strongly liked because it was so sudden. If I was running a campaign, I guess I would have eased everyone into things a bit slower (the process of being forgotten taking several days), but for a once-off adventure I figured it was better to just drop everyone into things immediately.

The players also had some fantastic feedback on how one of the NPCs (a friendly one who's there to help them) was introduced. Hopefully her introduction will be stronger for their comments.

I did have one amusing moment while running the game - one of the NPCs suddenly changed gender from what I had originally planned!

The players generally seem like they want to finish the adventure, so I'm hopping we can get together again soon. It probably won't be until August (unless we replace one of our normal roleplay sessions for the second half, which is unlikely to happen). Hopefully what I've come up with will survive the lack of playtest ;-)

As for the actual writing of the adventure - I've completed the introduction section and almost all of Act I. Only four more Acts to go!

Oh yes, and one useless tidbit of info. One of my players recognised the second book that I've used as inspiration for The Forgotten (the one I had forgotten the title of). It's titled Displaced Person, by Lee Harding. I feel a re-read is in order.

No comments: